Monday 28 March 2016

How does a man define success?

Why do you exist? Just be yourself! Why pretend to be someone you are not. You have a gift and the world is waiting for you to present it. 




I noticed a friend of mine was bothered by how I have evolved. I asked what bothered him so much about it. He said to me you are not being yourself, that you are trying to be someone you are not. I was taken back by his statement at the same time I was not surprised at all. To some people change happens really slow, or something impactful has to happen for change to occur in a individual. Change is not a bad thing, in fact it is a great thing as long as it is constructive change. Someone who notices your change means that they themselves are still at the same position they were before you changed, keep that in mind.

Another friend of mine had asked a question that got me thinking during our basketball game. The game was just about to get under way. After successfully winning our first game, we then lost the next game. The rules are when we lose we sit off, however my teammate substituted for another team since there was a shortage of players. While I watched him play I noticed how hard he worked. I wasn't doing so good in terms of my game. 

I was asked, what makes a man successful? The first words that came out of my mouth were perseverance, hard work and deliberate practice. In the book outliers Malcolm Gladwell conveys successful people as outliers. They happen to be at the right place at the right time doing the right thing with the right people. 

I sat there and watched then a revelation came to me, I could have said a lot of things about what makes a man successful. It all depends on how you define success. Anyone can be successful with anything they do and with themselves. According to the dictionary success is defined as the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.

I read a lot of success quotes on Instagram. You can also find many celebrities with success quotes; Will Smith-If you want something go get it. Period, Ghandi-Be the change you want to see in the world, and my most favorite quote, Henry Ford- If you think you can or you think you can't you are right. I can go on and on with these quotes, why bother? Will they make you successful? Certainly not. Do you need to read any of these for motivation? I don't think you do, I think motivation should be a driving force within you.

How do you define success? 

When the game finished and we won 5 games to 1, we were walking outside my teammate kept repeating my answer to his question about how I define success. I told him to ask me the question again. When he did I replied back to him "THE MAN". Really only you can define what success means to you. You can be a successful husband, brother, son, teacher...

Change is good if it makes a man better than what he was prior to the change, thus becoming successful.

On another note...


Today is a sad day for me and especially hard for my girlfriend, we adopted out our doberman, whom we fostered for 3 years, to a loving family who are going to take good care of him. I went to look for him where he usually sleeps only to find an empty room.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment