Saturday 2 April 2016

Learning how to learn.



I learn by talking, how do you learn?

I had an epiphany. When I was talking to a possible mentor/coach for hire I explained to her why I was considering hiring her. After talking about myself to her, I realized that I had just learned a great deal about myself that I previously had no awareness of.

How was this possible? Well we all have different ways of learning. Mine is through talking. Listening is an ideal way to learn, I am sure you have heard this expression, you have two ears and one mouth so you can listen twice as much as you talk.

Listening I find I learn many new things. Talking I find I learn about myself. The best way to learn is by teaching someone else. Than it really shows if you have grasped the knowledge you learned. My girlfriend always asks me to tell her what I have learned, I greatly appreciate her doing so. I can really understand if I have grasped it or not, if I can't explain it to her then really what have I learned?

We have different styles of learning. Visually, Auditory, and the most effective is Kinesthetically, by actually using all the senses and taking action at the same time. Easy way to find out your style, when you talk to someone what would you normally say, It feels like.... It sounds like..... It looks like.....This will give you an idea of how you are able to learn best.

Why is it important to capitalize on figuring out your best learning style. It is because you learn more effectively by using your style of learning. Most importantly is to have a mindset for always wanting to learn. You will never be the know it all kind of person. If you think you are then you are limiting your potential.

A month ago I did not know anything about Wordpress or backend code for building websites. Now I can write and manage code, all because I chose to learn it. It is important for my business to know this. Do I know everything about it certainly not, I don't think I ever will, but I will do my best to learn everything there is to know about it. It is easy finding the help once you start looking for it. This goes for anything you want to learn. Start by finding people that are really good at what it is you want to learn, ask them questions, if they don't respond, try again then try someone else. Read about it in blogs and books.

Do not give me or yourself that excuse that you don't have enough time to learn. You know damn well you got the same amount of time as the rest of us. Wake up a bit earlier then you are used to. Watch a little less T.V. Hang out shorter amount of time with your friends. Miss one night a week for partying. You can give many excuses why you don't have time to learn, yet there are no excuses why learning is beneficial for you. It doesn't have to be a full day. Make it 10 minutes a day, then every week or month expand that by 5 more minutes. Everything must start in small increments. It will not work jumping in full bore at anything.

Why you should continue learning

I constantly say I will always be a student. Learn by doing. Learn through others. Learn to expand your abilities. Learn because you choose to. Learn because it is in your best interest. Learn because it is fun. Make it a habit to learn something new everyday and teach what you have learned to someone else.

You have learned a great deal in school, heck most of it is probably useless. Why stop there, you shouldn't. Life teaches you so much more, if you just get out there and be willing to learn.

What do you wan't to know? Why do you want to know it? How will you apply what you have learned?

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment