Tuesday 19 April 2016

People don't care about you

Okay, my hair is not that long
I went on a hair strike for 3 weeks and it was liberating.

Well I decided to grow out my hair. For the last seven months I have been cleaning it up but not fully cutting it.

However the last 3 weeks I decided not to put any product in my hair. By product I mean any gel, mousse, hair spray or whatever you put in your hair to make it stay in place.

I wanted to do something different, and it felt great doing it because I chose to do it. No one told me what to do.

Do you care about what other people think?

I know there are times when I just don't care, and I think this last three weeks was proving that point. I am not saying you shouldn't care because you should care, and I know I am contradicting myself by saying this statement, I do care.

I do care the image that I convey to the world. I don't care if people like it or hate it. It is hard for me to get embarrassed.

Maybe it's the attention that I enjoy whether negative or positive. Playing basketball I would be "that guy with the crazy hair". Maybe it's for recognition that I was seeking.

Whatever the reasons may be, I loved it either way. It was a challenge I was ready to face.

I had important meetings with clients, dates with friends and my girlfriend, I attended seminars and even conducted a school presentation. I got up in front of the class and led a stretching exercise where my hair would rise and fall.

If I didn't mention to the class to excuse my hair I am not sure if they even would of cared, didn't seem like they cared anyways.

Occasionally I would toss some water through it to keep it down for a short while, but then it would go all crazy on me and I just wouldn't care. 

People don't notice because they are too busy thinking about themselves. Because there are too many distractions to notice.

Plus they might think that is my style, and how inappropriate would it be for them to judge?

It is a good thing we live in the times that we do. where we can express ourselves without being criticized.

My hair is the longest it has ever been besides the time I had a mushroom cut when I was 12 years old.

As a matter of fact I got some compliments from strangers.

Close friends of course would throw in the odd comment, of "what are you doing with that hair".

It got to the point after two weeks of not styling my hair I wanted to see if anyone would care about my hair and how ridiculous it looked, according to societal norms of course.

Ill tell you one person who judged, and I hold nothing against her, yes you guessed it, my girlfriend. Why did she care? Was it because she loves me? Was it because of her image and how it would make her look being with me?

How you carry yourself is how you show the world who you are.

Oscar Wilde, this photo is from The Daily Beast, on his American Tour.
Oscar Wilde was a playwright, did I know this before I wikipedia him? No. I came across his quote however in one of the books that I read, Secrets of Confident Communicator. They are a series of books that are great for anyone who wants to better themselves.

"You can never be overdressed or undereducated" This quote stuck with me, I use it all the time when I dress to impress. When I walk into a room and I am the only one that is definitely over dressed this is what I think in the back of my mind.

I was inspired to write this post because of one of wondering earl posts.

What you choose to do with this information is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment