Saturday 16 April 2016

Is there a purpose to a reunion with old classmates?

This is where I attended grades 9-12


Why should you go to your highschool reunion?

You get to see what other people who you never cared about in school are up too. You get to compare yourself to others?

I mean really why does it matter to have these 10 year reunions? Is it suppose to make you feel better or worse about yourself?

I suppose you get to network with a group of people whom you shared the same school with. This is an advantage because you have already something in common with this group of people.

There are reasons why you no longer communicate with your classmates. Whatever those reasons may be, girlfriends, wives, children, career, location.

While one part of me says it is a waste of time showcasing and comparing yourself to people who you grew up with. Another part of me says it is not.

Networking is essential for any business. I am sure you have heard this before, "Your network determines your Networth". For the most part that is true.

You do need to have an effective network, and by that I don't mean just having someone's name and number in your rolodex. It's much more than that.

Your network is a group of collaborators who you associate with regularly. Who you share insights with and who you bring value to, in return they bring value to you (the latter is less important than the former).

I missed my ten year reunion, well I was actually never invited to it. Am I upset about this? No. Should I be? I don't think so. Although we did have a celebration of life for one of our dear classmates, and a large number of the people from our grade were there.

Things have not changed for a lot of the people at the memorial. However there were a few unrecognizable acquaintances that are doing much more with their lives. I must say I felt a bit awkward as I am definitely not recognizable since my high school era.

I have changed in terms of how I think and act. I am not the same person I was 10 years ago, 1 year ago, or even yesterday. Books, experiences and mentors in my life have helped me evolve to a more progressive individual.

My girlfriends 10 year reunion is coming up, she invited me to go. I am looking forward to this because I get to meet with her influencers. You never know when you might run into someone that shares the same vision as you.

When you get invited to your 10 or 25 year reunion, don't go there on the expense of others. Instead go open minded with the intention of adding value to others, however that may be.

What you choose to do with this information is up to you.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment