Thursday 21 April 2016

Is your life taken over by social media?

Is this you at work, at home or on a date?


I covered cell phones and how they have revolutionized our world. I covered addiction and the power of the subconscious mind, and I also introduced how to use the right social media platform for your business.

Today I want to discuss how social media can be a powerful tool for your life and how it can damage it at the same time.

We are living in the age of information. Information is at your fingertips at anytime and almost any place. Majority of people are on some sort of a social platform or database on the internet.

We all use social media, and If you don't, someone you know does I can bet on that.

Have you ever googled your name?

If you do not have any news articles or stories about you then certainly your facebook feed or twitter feed will appear on the google search.

Why this is a good ?

There are two main reasons why it is good to have social media.

First. It makes you more credible, authentic and real. Ironic since it is a virtual reality.

Most companies look into your social media accounts to verify who you are, who is in your social circle, and what you post. Why do they do this? Well to get a better understanding as to who they plan to hire.

If you are going on a date with someone, or just met someone, guess what, first thing they will do is "creep" your social media to get to know you better.

I think you get where I am going with this.

Of course there is a flipside to this coin. People, hackers, can create fake accounts and pretend to be someone who they are not, to make themselves look "better", or even worse steal someone's Identity. I will go into more detail on this. 

Second. It can bring about opportunities for you and open doors. How?

I was at an event yesterday in Vancouver and I asked one of my friends who his new hire was. He connected with her on instagram. Has never met her personally before.

I have connected with various people through my social platforms whom I have never met. Yet it will work in my benefit as well as theirs when we collaborate on various projects I am planning for the future. Creating a win win win is so important in life and in business and I will actually dedicate a whole post to this theory.

Someone tried to scam me. My dad posted my drone on craigslist that I am selling and I received a reply about it from a 'potential buyer'. I asked the buyer if he has a linkedin or facebook profile, the male instantly replied "no". Right away my suspicions were raised.

After 5 minutes of investigating I figured out it was a scam. He actually had the nerve to call me and try make me feel guilty about not selling him my Drone.

I don't watch the news on T.V. or listen to it on the radio, instead anything worth spreading is done through social media. It is difficult to track everyone's birthday, Facebook makes it easy by giving reminders. Also a great way to setup social event's is to post on various social media platforms. 

We are interconnected globally.

How social media can damage you.

Classic example, Catfish, they actually have a show about this and the term has actually made it to the dictionary. When someone lures you into a relationship by means of a fictional online persona.

Well this has never happened to me, although I did know one person who this may have happened to. I won't go into details of this. Let's just say nothing came about this.

Another instance when something similar to this happened, not the luring but the stealing of identity, to my girlfriend. Someone pretend to be her, used all her photos, and she/he was in a different province. It certainly is so bizarre witnessing someone else using your identity.

It could be happening to many of us, and we just don't know it. It certainly happens a great deal if they could make a T.V. show about this.

Cyber crime happens all the time, and your social media is an excellent platform to dig up any personal information that you have on there. Just use caution and beware that it can happen to you.

Besides that social media can be a powerful distraction and addiction for many users.

Conclusion.

Social media can both be good and bad if you use it cautiously and to your advantage. Right now I am building a vehicle in which I will be able to promote various businesses as well sell ad space for other businesses. I am also working on a project right now that will turn into a profitable business and most definitely will leverage all the social media platforms to go viral with it.

During the prelaunch stage I will uncover the name and where you can find us.

What you choose to do with this information is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment