Thursday 1 September 2016

Why age shouldn’t influence our conception of advice.



I wake up and rush to the washroom. I relieve myself and then head back to bed. As I lay in bed my mind begins to race. Ideas are flooding in my mind. Now I can’t get back to sleep. What is my day looking like? What is the most important thing I have to do? How will I do it? What are my goals? I got a great post I want to write. I start laying the foundation of the post in my head.

It’s true, you can only retain one thought at a time. Stay focused on one idea at any given time. Another great Idea arises. Now I lose track of the first post I wanted to write about. I get annoyed because what I thought was a great idea is lost in the vast array of my reflections.

I begin to think about how early it is and that I can get another hour of sleep because everything else can wait. As my tired self dazes off and begins to lose consciousness, I think about that too and that’s when I prompt myself out of bed.

Now I am here. My screen blurring at me, it’s 4:30 am. This isn’t part of my routine.

What has provoked me to break my habit? Was it the fact that I didn’t want to lose my train of thought as I lay out what I think will be a good topic to write on? Is it the fact that I want to get lot’s done and the best way to get the most done in a day is by waking up early before all my peers and the chaos?

I was watching a you tube clip a week ago of Gary Vaynerchuk interviewing Eric Thomas. Eric Thomas was asked by one of his friends “why is he up so early?”. I had the same reaction as Gary. The person asking obviously is not a ‘winning player’.

The topic that broke my usual routine of waking up, reading, going for a jog, having a cold shower is on advice. I have written about it in the past so I will give you new content that is not a reiteration of what I have already told you.

What is advice?

One person’s wisdom to another. A recollection of information. You learn something at point A and transfer it to point B. Really think about it, advice is nothing more then information that you have learned and that you end up conveying somewhere else, that’s it.

Why does a person’s age influence the type of advice their given or are giving?

Most times I have a really difficult time giving advice to someone who I know is older than I am.

How will they perceive me when I give them advice? Am I worried that they will judge me?

But it really sounds like they could use it.

That is the type of thinking that happens in my mind before I contemplate whether I should or shouldn’t give advice to my older peers. Most times I end up going with the latter.

I don’t want to sound egotistical, I don’t want to sound like I know it all. I don’t. But am I doing a disservice of holding back on giving the advice that could potentially be useful?

This is why the internet and the information that is circulated there is so powerful. It doesn’t matter how old you are, what your nationality is, or if you’re a male or female. The internet is ubiquitous. The information that is often given holds merit on it’s actual value.

Does the information you are given produce results? If so, why does ....



Image copyright by knclawfirm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment