Tuesday 6 September 2016

The things I learned after my 33 day Sabbath from Social





People who have depression seek comfort by turning to the internet and their social groups, yet the internet itself is causing depression in people.

Taking an action and encountering an instant reward will make someone compulsively pursue that same action.

The day I took a social media Sabbath was the day I realized I was hooked. In late December last year, I began several accounts on Instagram. Prior to this, I had my personal account which I did not interact with on a regular basis.

I wasn’t much of a social media guy, in fact, I had a presumption that social media was a negative experience.

Around Christmas of last year headline entrepreneurial news, such as Entrepreneur, Fast company, Tech Crunch, Business Insider and other prominent news agencies were featuring articles about various Instagram accounts that were attracting massive popularity.

This sparked an idea to initiate an account of my own. I had a plan to grow to as many followers as possible than promote either my friend’s brands or other people who were willing to pay me, or perhaps even my own retail products of which I had not developed yet.

I had a big dream, and I wanted to achieve it fast. I wanted to hack my way into gaining a mass number of followers.

So I began.

For an infrequent action to become a habit, the user must perceive a high degree of utility, either from gaining pleasure or avoiding pain.” Nir Eyal

No comments:

Post a Comment