Sunday 22 May 2016

We learn when we are ready to learn.

It is a steady climb to the top, when you get there help someone else.
I was having a conversation yesterday and I was blunt in saying that I wish I knew what I have learned this past year, 20 years ago. Than I corrected myself and said I am glad I know what I know now instead of learning it ten years from now.

How do you look at things. Is the glass half full or is it half empty. How about appreciating that there is something in the glass at all.

We are fortunate enough to have the resources at our disposal. The sad truth is that many of us, well I can speak for myself, that I had no idea of these vast resources and how to utilize them.

Although I would consider myself as a forward thinker with a growth mindset. Some light was shed through this conversation that in fact in some aspects I am not. Let me elaborate on this further.

I have turned my back on a lot of activities that were misguiding me, and pulling me into a direction I felt had an abrupt end in sight.

Having a growth mindset means that I am open to any and all ideas and things, by me turning my back on things that I feel are of no use to me is having a fixed mindset. I need to keep an open mind.

Accepting and observing, not discounting and loathing. I don't need to say yes to those things I believe are not constructive, however what I should not be doing is judging.

Where am I going with all of this?

When you see someone younger than you accomplish more than you there are three ways you can react to that. Have resentment, feel sorry about your circumstances, and complain. Have passion, feel happy for that individual, and learn from their mastery. You can be indifferent about it.

The first statement is obviously negative, it will actually move you backwards. How? You close your mind to the possibility of learning and growing from the people who have achieved mastery. If you are not moving forward you are not moving anywhere. Staying still hinders your opportunity for improvement.

It ignites me when I see people who are younger achieve massive success, the Mark Zuckerbergs, Andrew Masons, and Ryan Holidays. It gives me more reason to go on a rapid growth. I don't find it unhealthy, I maintain a balance to some degree.

At first it wasn't like this and from that I can see the impact it had on my life. When I felt envious and resentful towards the high achievers, especially the younger ones, I lied to myself and told myself stories that would make me feel good about not having achieved the same or better. Blame was at my center focus.

This in turn put me at a standstill and I was not progressing at anything except for enjoying the meager things life has to offer. I did not want to learn, or improve, I was spiteful. Do I have regrets about this? No.

You are probably asking but Lev how could you not have any regrets, you wasted a third of your life. I would tell you this is not true. I have got to experience what most people have not (more on this another time). I lived life to the fullest without a care in the world.

Now I feel I am on a race to catch up on the valuable growth, the things I have not read or learned while I was on an escapade. "With education life becomes richer and more enjoyable." I am on 2x speed now. My life is centered around constant input. I ask myself "What am I doing now? How will it benefit me later?"

Who am I to judge how others live their lives. What I should judge is my own actions and how these actions will carry me forward by the day, hour, minute, well you get the point.

Where does your ambition come from?

If you can't see how others have done it how will you know if what you are doing is going to be worthy?

If what you are learning helps you in life, chances are it can help someone else.

Create content that matters, that people can relate to. Content that is transferable.

I want to end on this note. Embrace all those that have value doesn't matter what their age is. As long as their content improves your life. When your life is improved the people's lives around you also improve, especially the one's in your inner circle. The ones that are open to improvement.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. To be continued....

Image copyright by oppositelock.kinja.com

No comments:

Post a Comment