Sunday 1 May 2016

Distraction can be a good option.

Distraction by listening to music.
Distract your mind and motivation is easy to obtain.

You are probably wondering how is this possible? Don't you need sharp laser focus to be motivated on a task?

That doesn't work for me it may not work for you either.

Multitasking is not actually possible. What happens is you switch from one task to the other. However when the task becomes automated (least motivating task) you are able to do it simultaneously and switch to the task that will motivate you (distracting your mind).

I will explain this in more detail as by now I would expect you to be perplexed.

I have briefly mentioned motivation and what you spend your time on matters (obviously) in my previous posts, as well as how you can overcome procrastinating the things you don't enjoy doing.

So what I am trying to communicate here?

Let's give you an example. If I want to do something that is less motivating, working out abs at home, I put on a Ted talk at the same time. So I actually look forward to doing my abs, because I get to learn new things while doing them.

We can use another example, one that you can possibly relate too. Say you need to clean your house, and you most certainly don't want to do it, because you love living like a slob. You put on some inspiring music that you love to listen to and you tune out of the actual 'chore'.

This just came to me as I am writing this post. "Tuning" into something that moves you will make the things that don't move you seem aspiring. Look forward to doing the things you love, and the rest will fall into place.

I listened to a great talk today by Ryan Holiday he says "Focus on the small steps instead of the big picture". This is because the big picture can be intimidating and that is what stops you from starting the task/goal in the first place.

Not to say that you shouldn't have a big picture or end goal in mind. You should, but put that of to the side once you decide what it is, and start working on the smaller steps to get you there.

Think about it in terms of going to the gym. You are not going to see any results that day or the next day, what you will feel is pain. However in a month you will start to see what all that hard work on the task in front of you was all for.

The reward is completing that small tasks.

As I grow and learn, I like to reach out and transmit to everyone who is willing to listen.

What you choose to do with this information is up to you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

To be continued....

Image copyright by Housekeeping.about.com

No comments:

Post a Comment