Friday 13 May 2016

The revelation of my practice, part 1.

No I am not a coffee drinker. I felt this was an appropriate image however.

The day has come for me tell you how I create this conversation between you and I. Me writing and you reading. I consider it a conversation because I do the talking and you do the listening. 

For a couple of minutes you get to see the world through my eyes.

The Process

My style of writing if you took notice is Point Of View (POV). I write directly to you from my perspective. Not in a third person narrative.

I set my topics in advance. Meaning I have about 2 months worth of posts that I want to write right now. So when a new idea comes about a new topic it goes onward into my calendar. Unless I am just dying to write about something else that happened the day of, than I will push the topic I set for that day forward.

When the day comes for the topic to be written I start laying the foundation first thing in the morning, and than I leave it unfinished to let my mind absorb, analyze, and articulate it best I can.

Throughout the day I would add more to the post when I can and usually by the evening or midday I would complete writing it.

What I observe throughout the day reflects in my writing. Meaning I get influenced by various writers, speakers and events that occur during the day.

It takes time to write these 2-5 minute long posts. I went from writing them within 2 hours down to about 30-45 minutes. With time my speed is increasing on both the writing and finding the right images to convey my message to you.

The Past To The Present

My style is evolving. If you go back to January's posts you will notice that it was in one long boring paragraph, no images, usually one or two word topic. I came along way since than and everyday it just keeps getting more and more articulate.

What hasn't changed is the authenticity. I keep it real, no bullshit. I write direct, and I always finish my post with To be continued.... because I feel If I am going to write again then why should we just end it right there.

Sometimes I would get so excited to write I just start writing it as a note in my phone because I can't wait to get it on my laptop and out into the world.

I do my own editing and as you have probably noticed that there are a few mistakes both spelling and grammatical. This does not discourage me from continuing to write, instead I get encouraged by the amount I learn from this experience and overcoming the challenge.

I've always been very competitive in nature so I love the challenge.

The Purpose

I've talked about the purpose of publishing daily in this post, but I want to expand on that notion.

I am not just writing to get my thoughts and observations for everyone to read, I am also writing because I want to make you think analytically as well when you are reading my posts.

Effort matters more than talent 

Do I consider myself a talented writer? Certainly not, and that's not being humble that's being realistic. However I am putting forth the effort.

I get tremendous pleasure in my writing, with that teaching myself becomes habitual. I am reading a book called Grit by Angela Duckworth and she tells us that grit is crucial for success. Being gritty means you work hard and when you reach a roadblock you figure a way around it.

I find I am gritty when it comes to writing.

The Journey

Through everyday conflict and critical questioning is how I am able to put together this content.

Writing gives me a huge sense of accomplishment when I publish these posts. Did I say that already? It is worth mentioning again.

I don't want to impose anything that I write on you. Instead I want you to choose your own path. The takeaways from every post are takeaways that have worked for me. They may or may not work for you, it is up to you to decide that.

I want you to become what you want to become, not who I am or what I do with my life.

This is post 101, no this is not a denotation. It is actually my hundred and one post.

I have been waiting to write this post for about 2 months now because I have constantly been adding more content to this post which I felt was very necessary in getting my message across.

This will be a 2 part post since everything I want to write down will be longer to read than my usual post length and I like to stay consistent. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

In part 2 I will cover...well I guess you will just need to read my next post to find out :) (by the way this is my first emoji ever used, I think it might be the last too).

Thank you for taking the time to read this. To be continued...

Image copyright by sabrinabarbante.com

No comments:

Post a Comment