Thursday 21 July 2016

The tragedy of having nice things.



Yes, it sucks when you lose something that is expensive. We value it so much more because we worked so hard to attain it, even though we all know that our happiness with material wealth is a short life.

"I would rather excel in the knowledge of what is excellent than in the extent of my power and possessions." Plutarch

This is not what this post is about.

When someone else recognizes what you have, they cannot afford it and they understand the value of it, what do you do? Do you dismiss it and be modest, pretend like its no big deal? Or do you praise what you have, be realistic, and iterate the amount of the hard work that it took to get it?

I was having a conversation with my girlfriend, and this is how most of my topics are ignited, through controversial conversations. This conversation was about her bike and how one of her friend's commented on it.

She played it off like it's "just a bike". Yes, of course it is just a bike but, to her friend it is much more then that. It is something that is unattainable, it is something that seems more precious than gold.

People will value possessions differently. I cannot afford a Lamborghini yet, so when I see someone else driving a brand new Centenario it will make my head turn, my mind wonder, and my ego sink.

Why is that? Is it because I cannot afford it? Is it because I want to afford it? Will that bring me peace and happiness once obtained?

"Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain a peace of mind." Buddha

Freedom comes from within. Having more stuff will do nothing for you except enslave to the system we call society. By thinking that having the next big thing so that you can impress others or be "happy" is just that, your "thinking" of it.

You are probably saying well Lev if it makes me happy than what's wrong with that? Okay so it makes you happy now, how about 3 months from now? How about a year from now? How about 5 years from now?

Will you still remain happy with your expensive material possession? If not, then why not?

Is it because it's half-life is at it's end? Is it because there are now newer models and shinier things to go after? Is it your status your so concerned with?

Not everyone can think the way you think, obviously, and people who cannot afford nice things, if they do not have a peace of mind, will envy you.

Then we should ask ourselves, is envy bad or is it a good thing? I believe it is neither good or bad. How so?

Read the rest of the article HERE, I will give you some actionable items, my thoughts, and I will relate it to business for anyone who cares.


No comments:

Post a Comment