Tuesday 26 July 2016

Can distraction be useful or harmful to your productivity?




I must say before I begin this post that without the internet I am very effective at speaking my mind and creating content. How has the internet improved my writing? It has done so by applying various academic research studies and case references to convey a further powerful message.

With this information I am able to gain a better understanding on the subject I write about.

People are persuaded easier when you case reference other authorities work. Third parties are more reliable since there is no bias opinion held in their statements concerning your message.

As this is my third post now without any Wi-Fi, yes, I am counting them and I am still in the air. I think I will apply this strategy now to my daily writing. I seem to get more writing done in a shorter period of time. Distractions are a nuisance when they are irrelevant.

Are all distractions irrelevant? No, it is a general understanding, and research studies have proven that distractions consume your train of thought. Because of that the amount of time it takes you to accomplish something increases.

Inspiration can come through distractions. This is why I disagree that all distractions become destructive.

When I can identify between what is important and what is interesting I become much more effective with my work.”

Can both important and interesting apply? Which should we focus our attention on? Why?

Yes, both can apply. Usually what you think is important is interesting to you. “Interest creates curiosity”. Not all interesting things are important, and this part is important to understand.

A cat jumping from one roof top to another or a guy using a blender to destroy Iphones may be interesting but is most certainly not important.

Unless of course you are in animal sciences or in the tech field building indestructible phones.

I will say what you already know but you might not apply and that is, focus your attention on the important things. What is important to you? That I cannot answer. What is important to me? Improving my well being, my relationships and my businesses.

As I am writing this I am getting stuck. I am getting stuck because I am not sure where I want to take this post.

I start blaming the music I am listening to so I switch over to something that is familiar and more soothing. Could it also be that this is the third post I am writing and this is unusual in a sense that I write 1-2 posts a day? Creativity is a muscle and when over exercised it becomes exhaustive.

Maybe it is the fact that we are almost landing and the descent of this plane and the constant announcements from the captain make it that much more difficult to concentrate.

Are these just mere excuses or distractions? By writing this down am I pushing to get back into the flow state. Yes.

Writing and powering through these distractions will make things better. How so? This is what Malcolm Gladwell writes in his best selling book Outliers, the 10,000-hour rule.

This was first introduced in 1993 by Anders Ericson a Swedish Psychologist, and then popularized by Malcolm. Through deliberate practice one can achieve mastery. We need to understand what deliberate practice is and what practice is because they are not the same thing.

Someone can work for 20 years and still not become a master at their work. So what do I mean by deliberate practice?

Practicing by challenging yourself enough so you can increase your skill base, but not too much that it becomes too frustrating for you to give up. When it becomes too frustrating it then demotivates you.

Daniel H. Pink in his book Drive explains it best, three factors are involved

No comments:

Post a Comment