Monday 6 June 2016

The things I learned being an introvert




Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

We are both.

Some lean more on the scale to one end than the other. There is no extremism.

For the longest time I have been more of an introvert, until recently the scale began tipping more towards the extroversion.

What helped was constructive feedback. The more acceptance (Reward) I received the more likely I wanted to do more (Habit).

Let me give you an example.

I am sure you can relate to this. I have always been terrified to give school presentations. I would go up in front of the class thinking maybe I will forget what I want to say, or maybe the students or professor would not understand my content.

This only made things worse.

I remember going up to do a presentation, I spoke in a monotone voice. Delivered such dry material, or so I thought, and almost blacked out from the adrenaline that was rushing through me.

After giving my presentation I stood there and no one clapped or said anything. I have been embarrassed very few times in my life and this was one of them.

When I began walking towards my chair I guess everyone understood that the presentation was over. I suppose I never made it clear for them, then the half hearted claps started to fill the room.

How has it changed so dramatically for me since the time of hating and fearing of being in front of a crowd to now enjoying and actually feeding off of it.

I now, instead of getting sweaty and forgetting what I want to say, go on rants and really enjoy being the center of attention.

What helps is knowing your material. Confidence, Self-esteem, and instead of reading from cue cards become authentic, genuine and think about all the other people that suck more than you do.

No one is interested in a person reading of a script doesn't matter how exciting your topic is. People love people who engage with the audience, who can bring knowledge even if it of a low degree of knowledge you will still come of as an ace.

No one knows what you want to say or have prepared to talk about. I think what terrified me before was to mess up my lines on the script. The funny thing about that is no one had my script so how would they know if I messed anything up. They don't.

I have done a radio show which I have mentioned before in my posts, what I learned is that it is best to come prepared with the knowledge. My first show I was nervous and I kept reading of my script. My next show I realized I can be much more authentic if I just be me without the script.

My presentation in my recent course I was well versed about the topic and candid in my performance. In my speech at the memorial I was the first to speak up in front of a group of 50 strangers.

Do extroverts experience stage fright? What makes a person an extrovert?

An unreserved outgoing person is what the dictionary implies. I believe that yes extroverts too can be uncomfortable on stage. However the difference between a quiet person and someone who is forthright is the momentum that individual builds on stage.

It is the same as a forming a snow ball and rolling it down hill. Introvert's snowball will break up every few feet, and extrovert's snowball will build up and become monstrous once the ball gets rolling. (Maybe this wasn't the best metaphor)

Whether you are on a scale tipping towards being an introvert or and extrovert you are gifted. What lies inside of you is special and only you can magnify it. If you are shy, like I was, and you don't want to be, than you can be outgoing.

At first it will be really uncomfortable, and that is the best part about it, although it may not seem so at the time.

No one is perfect, not me or you, sorry to break it to you.

There is no one trait better than the other when it comes to business, in fact both traits compliment each other. It is vital to understand the employee's trait and to treat them accordingly.

Introverts are more efficient in working alone rather than in groups. Extroverts love to be the center of attention and do better collaborating in groups. Don't force introverts to be uncomfortable if you want their maximum output.

The way to find out a person's trait is by spending the time with them and understanding them as a human being not as another number added to the company.



"Wise men when in doubt, whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of doubt, and remain silent." Napoleon Hill.

I dedicate this post to Quiet by Susan Cain.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to read this post, I do appreciate it. To be continued....

This can also be read at Karasingroup.com

Image copyright respectively by introversi.be, biginja.com


No comments:

Post a Comment