Monday 29 August 2016

To become an artist one must understand the process



Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.” Jonathan Swift

Recognizing your strengths is truly an amazing experience. When you become a master at something you tend to see things in a different light.

My friend’s boyfriend was hosting an art show. As you already know if you have been reading my posts that I love creativity. I got into an unusual way of painting myself. Upon arrival to the exhibit my eyes wondered from one art piece to the next.

I see art in a completely different view point as someone who does not paint.

While you see the outcome, I see the process. You see an object and I see the width and depth of the brush stroke. You see the color of the paint; I see the texture and the blend of colors used to make that color of which you see. You see a price tag and I see the amount of labour it took to make the layers upon layers of paint on the canvas, the amount of money spent on the materials.

The paradox is that most artists do not consider their work masterpieces as opposed to the people who are purchasing that same work. Are they modest or are they perfectionists?

Having had the experience of doing something we no longer look at it the same way as someone who lacks that experience.

To appreciate art, I believe you need to fully comprehend its value. I never understood art until I began painting myself. Sure I have been to art shows in the past, but to me when the art didn’t make sense I would dismiss it. While someone would say, “well that’s just art, you are not suppose to understand it.” I find that statement to be artificial.

All art makes sense if you can get behind the painter’s shoes and observe the art as if you were the one painting it yourself. The story behind the artist, the background from which they come from, the inspiration from which they breathe, the complexity that they evoke into their work.

My experience has led me to trust that art is a story, a journey, an interaction.

From the time the painter decides what it is he or she wants to paint, to the creation of the painting, to the exhibit where the art is displayed, to the buyer’s home, to the observer who comes to the buyer’s home and interacts with the painting.

Art can also be therapeutic. It has been a source of which I often meditate and release creativity which promotes mental well being in my life.



In psychology today Kendra Cherry quotes “Doctors noted that individuals suffering from mental illness often expressed themselves in drawings and other artworks, which led many to explore the use of art as a healing strategy.”



We have all heard this saying: “creativity is 95% work and 5% inspiration”. This is true, however I want to add that deliberate work in which you enter the state of flow is essential to be creative.



To get to the stage of flow one must be immersed in the work that they are doing. If you lack the purpose your work will suffer. When your work suffers your motivation drops. Why? Because we already know that motivation has three building blocks: Purpose, Mastery, and Autonomy.



I want to end on this note:



If you never let anything unexpected happen, nothing unexpected will happen. The creative process is about discovering the answer not knowing it in advance, encourage unexpected outcomes.” David Usher.



Thank you for reading this post. If you are interested in becoming a creative but not sure how, drop me a message or email and I can recommend some good reading material of where to start and walk you through the process of which has helped me become a creative.



To be continued….



Image copyright by artcocktail.mallforarts.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment