Tuesday 1 November 2016

What does it mean to be successful?


“When you want success as badly as you want air then you will get it. There is no other secret of success.”

I spent some time looking through various success quotes and I settled on Socrates quote. I am not going to bombard you with any more of them.
So why did I choose Socrates over the thousand other quotes? Do I favor Socrates over others? No. Do I think other quotes are no good? Not exactly. My reasoning is this; success is individualistic.
Everyone defines success for themselves. Yes, there are influences that play a role in how we view success, and we will get to that shortly.
First, I want to begin by saying that accomplishment does not necessarily lead to success, I’ll give examples of this.
Secondly, other people’s perception is very different from our own, however, their vision can manipulate us into thinking alike, mirror imaging, I’ll explain this more in depth as well.
Let’s begin with how I define success; when I achieve self-awareness and I can guide my thoughts into a deliberate course to change my behavior and actions I have achieved optimal success.
Why can’t I define success for you? Because your version of success is very different than my version of success as you can clearly see with my definition of success.
I have written about success prior to this post, however, what I failed to mention in my preceding posts is the fact that we have been eluded to view success on mere accomplishments. We believe that if someone gets married they have achieved success in their family life, or if someone receives a promotion at work they are successful, or if someone earns a degree in school, well you get the picture.
We can already see the problem in those above statements.
I am not suggesting that getting married, receiving a promotion, or attaining a degree in school is a bad thing or a failure.
What I am proposing is that we must look at the importance and its contribution to our lives; a promotion or spending more time with family. Getting married or being alone working and traveling. Receiving a degree in something you don’t want to continue pursuing.
What I found interesting and the inspiration for this topic is how society’s norms of success are diluted and skewed. We tend to focus on the surface, we desire what others have until we experience it for ourselves.
Lead by example.
Having mentors, role models, and people we aspire too is a great thing. Having self-awareness is even greater.
When Socrates expresses to us about ‘wants’, success can become a substitute for other constituents.
What I gather from his quote is that breathe is vital. We cannot ...
Wait, you know where to go right? If you dont, follow the link below

No comments:

Post a Comment