Saturday 28 January 2017

Focus on your work and your employees will follow suit.


What does it mean having control over your employees?
There is no magic or secret formula or a 5-step manual on how to inspire your employees. There is only one thing to keep in mind, and that is; focus on your work.
Just to be clear I am not referring to mind control or the control of their behavior. What I am referring to is for your employees to complete the tasks you ask of them.
Your employees not completing what you ask them to do can be bothersome for some employers, and not only that but, it also leads to resentment and further negative emotions.
To put it bluntly, it ruins your day if you’re an employer.
I have felt this way many times. I begged, accused, assumed and fought to get the tasks that I felt had priority to be completed.
Once I came to the realization that it was only me who was getting frustrated, I got even more frustrated.
How could my employees not be bothered by this? Do they not understand how important this is? Why don’t they listen to me?
These are the thoughts that run through my mind.
How did I overcome this rut I was in?
It wasn’t that I started to care less. In fact, I cared more, but the difference was that I didn’t care more for what they weren’t doing and producing, but rather for what they were.
Okay, this may sound like the glass half full, or half empty analogy, it’s not the case and I’ll explain why.
And by the way, the glass is always half full and half empty.
I realized quickly that it wasn’t my words that were being ignored, but rather the actions I parlayed. My employees weren’t inspired by what I was saying, the inspiration came from my doing.
The more I performed, the more results I witnessed in my team.
As the adage goes, “Lead by example”, it hit me smack in my face when I started to work on myself and my work.
Your employees already look up to you, if you don’t think so then you need to check on your self-confidence.
When they come to you for help, guide them, don’t tell them how to solve their problem, ask them to come with solutions. They are more than capable of solving the problem, they just need a theory to go on.
A good theory doesn’t change the person’s mind, it’s a general statement of what causes why.” How to Measure Your Life by Clayton M. Christensen, James Allworth, and Karen Dillon
When I stopped complaining about why my employees would ignore me, I became focused on my own work and me not only inspired my employees but all the people around me as well.
Just do you, everything else will fall into place when you stop worrying about it.
Thank you for reading my post, Now I need to get back to work.
To be continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment